This Station was established in 1828 It’s present lighthouse built was built in 1855 and deactivated from 1955 to 1957. In 1957 the light house was reactivated and automated. In 2011 Baker Island Light was awarded to the National Park Service and is now a part of Acadia National Park.
This lighthouse is located on the southwest point of Mount Desert Island, marking the entrance to Blue Hill Bay and Bass Harbor. The light was built in 1858. Follow Rte. 102 into Bass Harbor.
Established in 1839 and rebuilt in brick in 1889, Bear Island Light is located at the southern entrance to Somes Sound. Taken out of service in 1982, this lighthouse was automated and relit in 1989. Though the Lighthouse itself is privately leased, the land belongs to Acadia National Park.
Egg Rock Light was built in 1875 and sits at the mouth of Frenchman’s Bay. Egg Rock Light was named for the bounty of eggs that could be gathered on the island. Unfortunately the nesting shore birds abandoned the island once the light was built. Many birds have since returned and the island is well know for the colony of 300-400 Harbor and Gray Seals that live there. Acadia Nature Cruises and Bar Harbor Whale Watch Company offer great trips to this island.
This lighthouse was built in 1890 and was fully automated in 1986. Great Duck is located southeast of Mount Desert Rock Light and stands 67 feet above average High water. It is estimated that Great Duck Island supports over one-fifth of Maine’s nesting seabird population. Both Great Duck and Mount Desert Rock lighthouses have been the property of Bar Harbor’s College of the Atlantic for ecological and botanical studies since 1998.
This lighthouse is located on Robinson Point on the Isle au Haut, which is part of Acadia National Park. Built in 1907, this light Was automated in 1934 and is maintained by The Coast Guard.
Built in 1830 with a system of ten lamps fueled by whale oil, the structure weathered many storms before being replaced by a new 58- foot Granite tower in 1847. Mount Desert Rock Light is one of the most dramatically isolated of all American lighthouses at more than 20 miles from the nearest port at Mount Desert Island .
Petit Manan Light was built in 1817 and later rebuilt in solid granite in 1855. This is the second tallest lighthouse in Maine at 119 feet tall & is located on the east Point of Petit Manan Island. Large flocks of Puffins are known to nest there each spring.